Honda Marine Outboard | 20HP | Short Shaft | Tiller | Electric Start
The Honda Marine Outboard 20HP has one of the largest displacements in its class, giving you a big performance on the water. Along with impressive features and leading Honda technology, the BF20 offers increased reliability and convenience, making it ideal for small fishing boats, sailboats or as a kicker for a larger fishing boat.
If you’ve got an inflatable boat, a RIB or a tender, these engines are not only easy to transport, they’re easy to operate too.
Both engines have an automatic decompression system for easy starting. This makes the engine much easier to turn over for that initial pull if you have a manual recoil-type, and it’s less of a drain on your battery if you have the electric start.
In forward motion (A) the propeller will drive normally through water, but in reverse it's a different story – unless you have a Honda. On other outboards, the propeller will turn in exhaust bubbles and wont ‘hook up’ with the water. Our unique reverse exhaust relief system directs the exhaust bubbles away from the propeller (B), so that it can 'grip' the water – instead of air. The result is instant reverse response with much finer control.
The Honda Marine Outboard 20HP light engine is easy to tilt up in five stages. Both the manual (A) and power versions (B) will lift up or down, enabling you to trim the boat to give you maximum performance and fuel efficiency. It also stops you from damaging the propeller blades when you find yourself near rocks or the water’s edge.
Ritz Marine is an official Honda Marine reseller in Malta.
Out of stock
Notify when available
Enter your email address below and we'll notify you when this product is back in stock!
Performance and Efficiency
Honda Four-Stroke Engine Design
- The BF20s utilize a 350 cc, 2-cylinder, in-line, OHC design powerhead. World-renowned Honda quality combines proven reliability and quiet operation with no gas-oil mixing.
Pendulum-Motion Vibration Dampening
- An exclusive Honda feature, the pendulum-motion mounting system for the powerhead helps absorb the vibration, including longitudinal vibration, which was difficult to reduce successfully by conventional rubber mounts. The pendulum mount does this without the use of a heavy balancer shaft, which also significantly reduces overall weight.
Increased Reverse Thrust
- When reversing, the exhaust gases are diverted through additional exhaust relief ports above the cavitation plate, allowing the propeller to back up into clean, bubble-free water, thereby increasing reverse thrust.
- Fully-remote-control BF20 models are available. Complete with control box and steering tube for clean installations.
Reliability and Durability
Complete Engine-Management System
- Electronically controlled monitoring system protects the engine components from over-revving, low engine-oil pressure and overheating.
Regulated Charging System
- A high-quality regulator/rectifier is standard on all models to prevent overcharging the battery.
Fresh Water Flushport
- Allows easy hook-up to fresh water supply to flush debris and salt water out of the engine, extending the life of the outboard (optional Flush Kit required).
- Allows you to run in shallow water with the engine raised to reduce the risk of damage to the lower gearcase.
Ultra Low 3-Star CARB Emissions
- Environmentally conscious technology. All Honda Marine engines exceed the highest CARB 3-Star rating to meet the rigorous California Air Resource Board’s standards.
Convenience and Ease of Use
- An automatically controlled start-up fuel-enrichment system ensures optimum air-fuel ratio to the engine, eliminating the chores of choke operation and greatly simplifying engine start-up (electric-start models).
Lightweight, Rounded Design
- Easy to transport, ideal for 12-16 ft. fishing boats, inflatables and pontoon boats especially, with remote-control power-tilt models available. Rounded ergonomics won’t catch fishing lines as easily.
High-Output Charging System
- All electric-start models are fitted with a high-output charging system that will deliver an amazing 12 amps at only 3,000 rpm to keep your electronics working and batteries charged.
- The programmed-ignition system sets the ignition system during start-up to reduce the effort required to pull start the engine.
Forward-Mounted Shift Lever
- Allows more control and comfort in shifting.
Quick-Twist Throttle Friction Adjuster
- A simple twist of the throttle friction collar located right at the throttle grip allows you to adjust the throttle tension up or down, minimizing driver fatigue.
Front-Mounted Steering-Friction Adjuster
- A new quick-adjust lever design located just above the transom bracket allows for precise adjustments at your fingertips.
Integrated Carrying Handle
- A convenient, foldaway carry handle is situated at the exact horizontal balance point of the engine so that the engine carries more easily in a level position.
Gas-Assist Tilt Model (LHGC model)
- A model is available with high-pressure gas-assist strut that greatly reduces the effort required to raise the lower gearcase out of the water. The motor can be locked in any position with the simple flip of a lever and – when locked – up to 50% throttle may be applied within a specified range.
Power Tilt (LRTC model)
- An electrically powered hydraulic lift system to raise and lower the motor in and out of the water at the touch of a button, either at the motor or from a remote location. Some optional parts may be required.
Long Tiller Handle
- The BF20 tiller models use a long tiller handle for increased control and reduced steering effort. The tiller handle is also made of lightweight composite for increased strength and weight reduction.
Standard Fuel Tank, Hose and Propeller
- A 12-litre fuel tank, fuel hose and aluminum propeller are included as standard equipment.
Type 4-Stroke SOHC; 2 Cylinders / 4 Valves
Displacement 350 cc / 21.4 cubic in.
Bore & Stroke 59 mm x 64 mm (2.32 x 2.52 in.)
Full Throttle RPM Range 5,000-6,000 RPM
Propshaft Rated Horsepower (HP) 20 hp @ 5,500 RPM
Cooling System Water Cooled
Fuel Delivery 1 Carburetor
Recommended Fuel Unleaded Gas. (Min. Pump Octane 86)
Ignition System PGM-IG
Starting System Recoil (Electric / Recoil)
Exhaust Under Water, above propeller
Lubrication Forced Lubrication (Trochoid pump)
Recommended Oil SAE 10W30 API service classification SJ or later
Oil Capacity 1.30 L (1.14 Imp. qt) with oil filter repl.
Trim Range 4-Stage 8°-12°-16°-20°
Tilt Range 71° (S-type); 72° (L-Type)
Steering Angle N/A
Gear Ratio 2.08:1
Gear Shift F-N-R
Alternator (Manual Start) 6 amp / 76 watts
Alternator (Electric Start) 12 amp / 152 watts
Battery Charging Power N/A
Power Tilt LRTC model only
Power Trim & Tilt N/A
Gas Assisted Tilt LHGC model only
Oil Pressure Alert Standard
Over Rev-Limiter Standard
Temperature Alert Standard
Water in Fuel Alert N/A
Battery Condition Alert N/A
Speedometer Pickup N/A
Variable Speed Trolling Kit N/A
Rudder Meter Kit N/A
Tilt limit Kit N/A
Overall Width 350 mm / 13.7 in.
Transom Height (S-Type) 432 mm / 17 in.
Transom Height (SCHC-Type) N/A
Transom Height (L-Type) 563 mm/ 22.2 in.
Transom Height (LCHC-Type) N/A
Transom Height (X-Type) N/A
Transom Height (XX-Type) N/A
Propeller Type 4-Blade (Aluminum)
Propeller Diameter x Pitch (S-Type) 235 mm x 254 mm / 9-1/4 x 10 in.
Propeller Diameter x Pitch (L-Type) 235 mm x 254 mm / 9-1/4 x 10 in.
Propeller Diameter x Pitch (BF(P) Models) N/A
SRC-Type 50.5 kg / 111 lbs.
L-Type 49.5 kg / 109 lbs.