Jetsurf is a brand of motorized surfboard, also known as a motorized surfboard or motorized wakeboard. It is a type of watercraft that allows riders to experience the thrill of surfing or wakeboarding without the need for waves or a boat.
Jetsurf boards are equipped with a small engine and an impeller, which is used to move the board across the water at high speeds. The rider stands on the board and controls its speed and direction using a handheld remote control.
Jetsurf boards come in a variety of models, each designed for different skill levels and intended uses, such as racing or freestyle riding. They are made from high-quality materials, such as carbon fiber, and are known for their durability and performance.
Jetsurfing has become a popular water sport, with competitions held around the world, and many people enjoying the unique experience of riding a motorized surfboard. Read more about Motosurf in the sections below.
How does a Jetsurf work?
A Jetsurf is a motorized surfboard that is powered by a small engine and an impeller. Here’s how it works:
- Engine: Jetsurf boards are equipped with a 2-stroke engine. The engine is started by placing the ignition key inside the handle and then pressing the throttle.
- Impeller: Attached to the engine is an impeller, which is used to move the board through the water. The impeller draws water in through an intake grate on the bottom of the board and expels it through a nozzle at the back of the board, creating thrust.
- Throttle: The rider controls the speed and direction of the board using a handheld remote control, which is connected to the engine via a throttle cable. The throttle controls the amount of fuel that is delivered to the engine, which in turn controls the speed of the board.
- Steering: Jetsurf boards have a set of fins on the bottom of the board, which are used to control the direction of the board. By shifting their weight, the rider can steer the board in different directions.
- Riding: To ride a Jetsurf, the rider stands on the board, holding the remote control in one hand and leaning their body to control the direction of the board. The board can reach speeds of up to 60 km/hr, allowing riders to carve and glide across the water.
Overall, a Jetsurf works by combining a small engine, an impeller, and a handheld remote control to create a thrilling motorized surfing experience.
Origin of Jetsurf
Jetsurf is a brand of motorized surfboards that was founded in 2008 by Martin Sula, a Czech engineer and entrepreneur. Sula had been involved in the development of various watercrafts, including motorized canoes and kayaks, but he was looking for a new challenge.
Inspired by the idea of combining surfing with motorized propulsion, Sula set out to design a motorized surfboard that could deliver the performance and excitement of traditional surfing, while also being easy to use and accessible to a wider range of riders.
After several years of research and development, Sula and his team unveiled the first Jetsurf prototype in 2008. The board was an instant success, attracting attention from water sports enthusiasts and investors around the world.
Over the next few years, Sula continued to refine the design and performance of the Jetsurf boards, introducing new models and features that were tailored to the needs of different riders and applications. Today, Jetsurf is recognized as one of the leading brands in the motorized surfboarding industry, with a reputation for innovation, quality, and performance.
While Jetsurf was originally created by Martin Sula and his team in the Czech Republic, the brand has since expanded to include dealers and distributors in over 60 countries around the world. Jetsurf boards are used by recreational riders, professional athletes, and racing teams in a variety of settings, from calm lakes and rivers to open ocean surf.
Jetsurf in Malta
Jetsurfing is gaining popularity in Malta, a small island nation located in the Mediterranean Sea. With its crystal-clear waters and stunning coastline, Malta is an ideal destination for water sports enthusiasts, and Jetsurfing is no exception.
Jetsurf was introduced in Malta by Steve and Ryan Rizzo (father and son) who are both engineers with a passion for the sea. They went on to form Ritz Marine (coming from their nickname Ritz which is short for Rizzo) who are the sole and only authorised dealers for Jetsurf on the island.
One of the advantages of Jetsurfing in Malta is the range of conditions available. Depending on the location and time of year, you can experience calm, flat water for smooth cruising, or more challenging waves for a thrilling surfing experience. In addition, the warm Mediterranean climate means that Jetsurfing can be enjoyed year-round, with water temperatures averaging around 20-25°C in the summer months.
Jetsurfing in Malta is also a great way to explore the island’s coastline and hidden coves. With a Jetsurf board, you can access areas that are not easily reached by traditional watercraft, and enjoy stunning views of Malta’s cliffs and beaches.
Overall, Jetsurfing in Malta is a unique and exhilarating way to experience the island’s natural beauty and enjoy an exciting water sport. Whether you’re a seasoned Jetsurfing pro or a beginner looking to try something new, Malta’s stunning waters and enthusiastic instructors make it a great destination for Jetsurfing enthusiasts.
Jetsurf or Jetski? How does is compare to a Jetski?
Jetsurfing and jet skiing are two popular water sports that offer their own unique advantages and benefits. Here are a few benefits of Jetsurfing over jet skiing:
- Portability and convenience: Jetsurf boards are much smaller and more lightweight than jet skis, making them easier to transport and store. They can be easily carried in the trunk of a car or on a boat, and don’t require a trailer or special storage.
- More eco-friendly: Jetsurf boards are powered by an electric motor or a gasoline engine with lower emissions, making them a more environmentally friendly option compared to jet skis, which typically have larger and more powerful engines that consume more fuel and emit more pollutants.
- Lower noise levels: Jetsurf boards produce less noise than jet skis, which can be disruptive to wildlife and other people enjoying the water. Jetsurfing allows you to enjoy the water without disturbing the natural environment or other people.
- More maneuverability and agility: Jetsurf boards offer greater maneuverability and agility than jet skis, allowing you to perform a wider range of tricks and maneuvers. Jetsurfing requires more balance and core strength, which can be a fun and challenging workout.
- More unique and exclusive: Jetsurfing is a newer and less common water sport compared to jet skiing, making it a more unique and exclusive experience. With a Jetsurf board, you can stand out and enjoy a one-of-a-kind water sport that not everyone has tried before.
Overall, Jetsurfing offers a unique and exciting alternative to jet skiing, with its own set of advantages and benefits. Whether you’re a seasoned water sports enthusiast or a beginner looking for a new challenge, Jetsurfing can be a fun and exhilarating way to enjoy the water.
Motosurf, also known as motorized surfboarding or jetboarding, is a thrilling water sport that combines the excitement of surfing and wakeboarding with the speed and power of a motorized engine.
Unlike traditional surfing or wakeboarding, which require waves or a boat, motosurfing allows riders to carve and glide across the water using a motorized board. The boards are equipped with a small engine and a propeller, which can reach speeds of up to 60 kilometers per hour, depending on the model and conditions.
Motosurfing is a relatively new sport, but it has gained popularity in recent years. Many people are attracted to the sport because it offers a unique experience and allows riders to explore new areas and waterways that may not be accessible by boat or other watercraft.
One of the main advantages of motosurfing is that it can be done in a variety of conditions, from calm lakes to choppy seas. This versatility allows riders to practice and improve their skills in different environments, making it a great sport for both beginners and advanced riders.
Jetsurf have dominated the Motosurf series thanks to their advanced boards when compared to the competition. They are truly the lightest and fastest boards in the world. You can read more here.
Overall, motosurfing is a thrilling and exciting water sport that combines speed, power, and skill. It’s a great way to explore the waterways and experience the rush of riding a motorized board.
Should I buy one?
Whether or not to buy a Jetsurf ultimately depends on your personal interests, preferences, and budget. Here are a few things to consider:
- Your skill level: If you enjoy surfing, wakeboarding or a water sports enthusiast, and you’re looking for a new challenge and a unique way to enjoy the water, then Jetsurfing could be a great option for you. However, if you’re a beginner, it’s important to start with a beginner-level board and take lessons from a qualified instructor to ensure that you learn the proper techniques and safety procedures.
- Your location: Jetsurfing is most popular in locations with access to open water, such as lakes, rivers, and the ocean. If you live in an area with limited water access or unfavorable weather conditions, it may not be the best choice for you. Jetsurf is perfect if you live in Malta!
- Your budget: Jetsurf boards can be quite expensive, starting from several thousand euros depending on the model and features.
- Your lifestyle: If you’re the type of person who enjoys outdoor adventures and adrenaline-fueled activities, then Jetsurfing could be a great addition to your lifestyle. On the other hand, if you prefer more low-key and relaxing hobbies, then it may not be the best fit for you.
Ultimately, if you’re interested in Jetsurfing and have the financial means to purchase a board, it will be a thrilling and rewarding experience. Get in touch with our Jetsurf team at Ritz Marine to view the boards and for more in depth discussions.